Friday, January 22, 2010

"africa is soooo cool"

This is a direct quote from my roommate Gillian, who has managed to leave her blackberry at the airport and run out of money because she forgot to call her banks before she left. I am the responsible one! For now at least.

After a night out on Long Street, we woke up early for a trip to Robben Island. We took a tour around the prison and got to see Nelson Mandela's prison cell. I could not get over the ireality of Apartheid and still can not get over how recent it happened. It wasn't until 1994 that the last prisoners were released. It is scary to think about such a huge human rights victory was happening as I was going about my business, making trouble in Kindergarten. All of the tour guides on Robben Island are former prisoners. It is almost funny to think about because although Robben Island was a prison where many political activist were sent, such as President Mandela as well as our tour guide, it was still a prison; meaning it still held burglars, murderers, rapists etc., some of which are now tour guides. Freaky.

When we got back to Cape Town, we took a nice, long walk around the waterfront and headed into various stores and markets. I will definitely be making some trips back there. Part of me is stressed out about taking advantage of every single opportunity here (tough life, I know). I want to see and do every part of this place. I sometimes forget that I will be here until June! I find myself trying to fit as much as I can in every day. But at least I know I'm doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment